I love this song on Jazmine Sullivan’s “Fearless” CD. In it, she’s singing about being foolish for a man and finally realizing that it’s time to “take him out the game.”
At what point do you realize it’s time to let go of a relationship? Here are my top reasons (if you notice, I love to write in list form!):
1. When you feel like your losing yourself: Have you ever or known someone that has totally lost their individuality? Someone who no longer speaks in “I”…. their sentences now begin with only “We” or “Ole boy/ ole girl said.” You need to call a search party quick because this person has went off course.
2. When you are giving more than you are getting: I’m not talking literal here…. you don’t have to sit down and calculate the 1:1 or 2:1 ratio. What I mean is you are constantly the one put on the compromising end. He/she always expects you to be there for him but you can’t expect the same from your partner. I found myself here before too.. I don’t want to make it all about money, but I am a giver and I was giving too much!
3. When your tears outweigh your cheers: When you find yourself crying more over what he/she has done to you, it’s time to get to steppin. As Changing Faces said, “I can do bad all by myself.”
4. When you become isolated from friends and family: Let’s keep it real, some folks are MONOPOLIZERS… they need all of your time and you find yourself depending on them for EVERYTHING. Some men or women don’t want you around your family or friends and begin to take over your entire life….. suddenly everyone that ever existed before them is “bad for you.” This is one of my family members… I don’t see her, she canot drive to my house without her man bringing her; she can’t even go grocery shopping by herself!
5. When you start thinking you are nuts: I have been here before…. Example #1: One guy told me he didn’t want a relationship CONSTANTLY but would throw a fit when he found out I was seeing other people. I called him on it (the no relationship thing) and his response, “that’s not what I meant.” Maybe I am “special” in more ways than one, but when you say you didn’t want a relationship, what else can that mean? LOL Example #2: This guy was not comfortable with emotions so he tried to convince me to get rid of mine…. he hated when I cried when he left (it was long distance). [insert blank stare here: wrkct: Mik].
What say you?