After all the shenanigans from Martin and Gina yesterday, I decided to post my favorite TV couples and what lessons I have learned from them. Now some of you bmight not like all the couples I list…and that’s cool cause this is my list and I am excited to see what you all come up with!
1. Major Nelson and Jeannie-OK so this one is number 1 because they have something that none of the other couples have (I leave the interpretation up to you). I like them because even though she was a genie she had real feelings…admirable ones even. I like the fact that she supported everything he did, even if she did mess things up…he could never say she didn’t try to help him out AND she would worry about him and try to fix things. I like her a little more than Lucy because Lucy would try to fix things and then mess them up even more (notwithstanding the later divorce) ruins my Lucy/Ricky delusions. And Samantha and Darren couldn’t make it into my favorite categories because of the whole Endora interference…her being witch sometimes overshadowed her ability to support him as a normal (as close as she could get) wife. (Lesson Learned: It really does pay to stand by your man…even if you have to blink yourself there)
2. Dwayne Wayne & Whitley Gilbert Wayne- So..from the very early episodes of A Different World, I could see that these two were going to get together. It was a lot of fun watching him being with different people like Kinu…while pining away for Whitney even though she was with Byron. It was an odd match with the middle class nerd matching up against the upper class Southern peach…but they somehow made it work with charm, wit and smarts. (Lesson Learned: True love conquers all…even money)
3. Cliff and Clair Huxtable-A doctor married to a lawyer with five educated children is a good premise, but how unrealistic is it? If you remove all those aspects from the show…and make them a normal married couple with kids who cause problems then it might have been a bit more realistic. I’m not saying they had to be all the way Florida and James but there could have been just a few more hardships. (Lesson learned: not everything can be perfect, but kids don’t have to ruin the relationship.)
4. CJ & Janine Payne-When it’s meant to be it’s meant to be. And I’ve got to admit I don’t think it’s all that uncommon for a couple to have a huge issue, dissolve their marriage then attempt to work it out…all while living in another relatives home. When you get down to brass tacks, what I love about this couple is their unconditional love of each other. No matter what has gone on, they’re still right there with each other. (Lesson Learned: Love knows no bounds…see 1 Corinthians 13)
5. Roland and Joan Burton-As the resident Army Husband, you’ve got to admire Roland’s dedication to keeping house running smoothly. While they’re not on a comedy but this couple has the right stuff. Roland’s a psychiatrist(now stay @ home dad and army husband) and Joan is better known as Lt. Colonel Burton… As a high ranking military official, you’d think she wouldn’t have a soft side, let alone be able to let Roland be the man in the relationship, yet she does. There’s a sweetness accompanying these two that can’t be beat. And you can’t help but wonder what a good time these two have (especially when you see his oiled body…geezus) (Lesson Learned: Balance & humility can take you a long way in a relationship.)
-Carl & Harriet Winslow
-Phillip &Vivian Banks
-Michael & Janet Kyle
-Martin & Gina (Better known as Nicki and J…who need a show)
Alright…that’s it for me. What are your favorite TV couples? What lessons do you learn from the relationships you see on TV? Do you think there are parallels to real life (married.boo’ed up folk)?